In case you are utilizing the Nightly model of the Thunderbird electronic mail consumer, known as Thunderbird Each day, then you’ll have observed that latest variations of Thunderbird Each day use a number of processes. Steady and Beta variations of Thunderbird use a single course of however.
Thunderbird, being primarily based on code that Mozilla Firefox makes use of, will follow the Firefox net browser. Mozilla introduced support for a multi-processor architecture in Firefox within the yr 2016 to enhance the browser’s stability. Draw back to utilizing multiple-processes is that the browser makes use of extra reminiscence. Google Chrome and all Chromium-based browsers have a multi-process structure as effectively.
Step one in direction of a multi-process structure has been made in Thunderbird Each day. The present implementation will not present “noticeable enhancements” for the foreseeable future, however it’s the cornerstone that future enhancements will build-on.
Thunderbird customers will not discover modifications after they improve to a Each day model that helps multiple-processes. Customers might examine the system’s course of supervisor to confirm that Thunderbird makes use of a number of processes, however that’s about it at present.
Thunderbird hundreds extensions in youngster processes, and can use processes for content material that’s loaded, e.g. the homepage or a brand new tab web page or window.
Beta variations of Thunderbird might obtain the replace as early as subsequent week, and Thunderbird Steady later in 2021, doubtless after the discharge of the following Thunderbird ESR model, model 91 in Summer season.
Thunderbird customers who don’t desire the e-mail consumer to make use of a multi-process structure might disable it within the following approach for now:
- Choose Instruments > Choices in Thunderbird. When you do not see the menu bar, faucet on the Alt-key to show it.
- Scroll all the way in which down on the “Normal” web page.
- Choose the Config Editor button to open the superior configuration editor.
- Affirm that you can be cautious if a warning web page is displayed.
- Seek for the choice browser.tabs.distant.autostart and set it to FALSE.
- Seek for the choice extensions.webextensions.distant and set it to FALSE. Doing so disables the multi-process structure for put in extensions which are enabled.
- Restart the Thunderbird electronic mail consumer.
Thunderbird will return to utilizing a single course of for all the consumer.
Now You: What’s your tackle the combination? (by way of Sören Hentzschel)